Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arm & Shoulder Morbidity in BC Patients

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arm & Shoulder Morbidity in BC Patients
    Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 5:53am
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a791071110~db=all~order=page

"The objective of this study was to compare the prevalence of late effects in the arm and shoulder in patients with breast cancer stage II who had radical modified mastectomy (RM) or breast-conserving therapy (BCT) followed by loco-regional adjuvant radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy/anti-oestrogen.?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 7:30am
Hi Pam,
Thank you for the information on shoulder pain I had thought that my
shoulder pain  was because I was run over by a car in 2005 and my left shoulder had take most of the blow from the car... Although my shoulder had not bothered me in a few years...  my surgery in Feb. has made it act up so much that I have been on morphine since the surgery for the painCry. I was going to PT until two weeks ago and that was helping a little bit, but now that I started radation last week I can no longer do PT because after just 4 treatments I am burned so bad that I couldn't stand to have my skin even touched... Ouch
I am seeing a shoulder Dr. on Friday and I will take this information to him. My goal is to get off these pain meds after so many monthsConfused

Thanks again,
BethAnne
Dx 5/07 DCIS Stage3 gr9 A/C x 6, Abrax x 16 Bi-Mass 2/08
Navelbine x 12, finished radiation end of July 08. DX Brain Met's 2/09StageIV
CK3/09.Brain resection4/09 WBR
Dreaming of dancing with Ned!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 7:57am
Hi BethAnne,

Nancy here (Lori's Mom). Before Lori started rads, I bought her an aloe vera plant. They say that is the best thing you can use for rad burns. Fortunately Lori did not burn at all. You might want to try that. It is great to have in your house at all times for any burn.

I am so sorry that you are having such pain.Cry It is enough for you to have to go through the rads, but now not being able to have PT because of the rads must be disheartening.

Hugs,
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 7:59am
Oh good grief Beth Anne, you were hit by a car?  Boy you just never know what life will bring you but glad things weren't worse.

Maybe this article will help you, I sure hope so and let me know.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 8:37am
Hi Pam,

I know it sounds bad but I have to laugh about it now...LOL After living in Pairs for 6 months having my apartment renovated where I walked every were and didn't think a thing about it.. I thought I should just walk to work (my shop is just 4 blocks from my house) and in a cross walk an 85 year old man ran the stop sign and didn't stop until I had hit the front of his car and landed on the ground in front of the hood of the carOuch When I settled the claim last fall I said to the agent... hummm I was hit on the left side of my body and now I have cancer there..
Do you know if they have found anything about trama and cancer???  Not that I think that this could be related but you never know????Confused

Well I off to Rad's with my AloeWink

Beth Anne
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 11:09am

Beth Anne, maybe you shouldn't have settled with the guy yet.LOL

Have "fun" at the rad appointment and watch out for 85 yr old men!

-
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Sandybtmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandybtmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 4:42pm
I have had 16 radiation treatments as of today, and was told this morning that I am doing better than most people--even the ones that have not done chemo--at this point.  I am very fair-skinned, but I have been using 99% pure aloe.  (I got it at a health food store.)  I have also been taking turmeric curcumin in supplement form three times daily.

Sandy

IDC dx 10/22/2007  40 yrs

Lumpectomy 11/7/2007

Stage 2/Grade 3/node negative & no vascular invasion

AC+Taxol DD finished 4/16/2008

Began Rads 5/20/2008

Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 7:06pm
Hi Sandy,
I have been using the pure Aloe from the health food store not making a differanceCry.... I'am Irish and have lived in Seattle and Paris for the last ten years... so the only sun I get is in summer trips to Italy... I can get burned by just looking at the sunLOL I am going to try the supplemnt that you are taking. Do you know what it dose that helps with burning??? I am willing to try anything at this point because today was #5 only 32 more to goConfusedConfused

Take care,
Beth Anne

Pam, your the best Star you always make me laugh!LOLLOL
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2008 at 3:39am
Well Beth Anne I wish I could help you with the burning from the rads.

The last time I had rads they gave me sample tubes of Aquaphor but that was almost 5 yr ago.  No rads last year.

Isn't it strange how we all react differently to our treatments and find different things to help ease our troubles.  No one thing a person can do so while you are feeling like crap you can run around and look for meds to help yourself.Smile

Have you tried wearing a silk cami against your skin.  May have already told you that.  Those feel good, not so clingy.
-

Edited by trip2 - Jun 12 2008 at 3:40am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2008 at 10:40am

Beth Anne,

I got a really bad burn from rads too.  Felt like I fell asleep on the beach nude, burned my breast & went back & did it agin 25 more times!!!  The last 7 rads were aimed just on the surgical site and that burned bad.

They told me aloe which helped at first but not much.  They gave me Aquaphor too which I used at night because it was really greasy.  But the best thing I found was Burt's Bees Aloe & Buttermilk lotion.  It healed it up fast and felt so good when I put it on.  Very cooling & soothing.  The burn was completely gone 2 weeks after I finished rads. 
They also told me to soak a cloth in saltwater and lay it across the burn for about 15 min then let it air dry.  It did help some.  Kept it from blistering.
Good luck with the rest of your rads.
Nancy

Netterz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netterz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2008 at 11:17am
I posted on burning, and how I got thru it, since none of the goop they gave me worked. I literally had ahole you could see fat thru, and was awfully painful. I went the naural route after 2 weeks of having to stop rads to heal.  Run to the store and you can find it at al health food stores, and in some regular stores, and start taking Tumeric. It stops your skn from burning, an I mixed up some essential oils,which I have been a huge fan of and used for MANY years to heal up skin issues. So I will post it again here for you, digging thru all my posts would take days, LOL.
T-Neg diag.5/07-40yo
Stage IIIa
Grade III
7/26 +nodes ax.
4-A/C pre-lumpectomy 2 Taxol post
+Tissue involvement
Finished Rad 4/08
DX of Advanced CTCL 2/09
Lansing,MI
Netterz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netterz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2008 at 11:18am
My own version of treatments is as follows:

Chemo- I take a combination vitamin that I get at Walmart that contains both Calcium 1.2grams, (1200 mg) and 800 UI Vitamin D, combined in one capsule by Spring Valley. I take 2, twice per day. 400 capsules for $9.00

For skin care, after surgery, Have your Dr give you Medipore. By 3M. It is a type of weaved wound cover, that will stay in place, keep your wound from stretching, and clean, because you can shower with it on, and it dries quickly, when patted with a towel, then dried with a hair dryer on cool/warm setting. The stuff is AMAZING, but expensive, so be sure he gets you a roll before you leave the hospital. And.. ANY tape you might need to use.. use PAPER tape, after surgery because any of the other tapes will irritate and in some cases rip your hide right off, and get the swabs on a stick with the green brown iodine sticky mix(I cant remember the name) for underneath it, helps as well. You can get thru about 5-6 showers before needing to re-apply, depending on how careful you are with it.

Gold Bond medicated quick spray, triple action protective, antiseptic, pain relief, and itch relief. I use this under my breasts, it stops you from breaking out with a rash under there, cuz face it, unless you are breastless, if you don't wear a bra, and even sometimes when you do, we get rashes and sores under there, anywhere from a slight rash, to open wounds, and even fungal/yeast infections, due to all the crap your body is going thru and medications/toxins. A couple sprays, then dry it under there with a hair dryer. It is in the section with first aid sprays, bright yellow bottle with a red cap. I also use there powder away from my wounds as well, but prefer Talc for every where else and during the day, cuz it has the menthol smell, using the Gold Bond only at night.

You will probably be told to go and buy 100% pure aloe. They tell you that you can get this at Walmart, in gel for, for $3.00....I did, and was NASTIEST FEELING YUCK, never felt like it dried, left a sticky residue, and stuck to my clothes too. Hated it.

I went searching, and found some ABSOLUTELY AWESOME 100% Aloe butter, it comes in a deli containers, and looks and feels like hard white real butter, comes with a little scoop, has no scent at all, you use the scoop to get out what you want/need. But as soon as it touches your skin, it starts melting and leaves your skin dry to the touch, but wonderfully moisturized. I love it, and have sent this woman a lot of happy customers.
You can find it on ebay, the item #330172664447 or can search her store name of: ETERNAL RAFLECTIONS ORGANICS (Yes its RAFLECTION)

I buy the ┬╝lb size and still have plenty, after two and a half months, and I use it everywhere, and she sells it in multiple sizes. The mango is really nice too, for other parts of the body. I have bought several of her products and have not found any that I haven't absolutely loved. Read thru her listings entire page about the differences between what she sells, and you will see why.

For Rad burns, I use a mix of essential oils that I mix up myself and place is a small spray or roll -on bottle. I will make up some for anyone who wants to try it out and mail it to you in a small amount, but you need to test it on a small patch of skin somewhere else,to be sure you wont have an allergic reaction.

Just email me, or PM me here. I have used essentials for years now, and am a firm beleiver that they are far better for you and your skin, than any of the crap you can buy off a shelf. 1/3 Tea Tree Oil, 1/3 Calendula Oil, 1/3 Lavender Oil. All of the oils above are safe to use on your skin with out the need of a carrier oil, but you can use some if you would like to dilute it.
I had a burn that started out at about 4 inches long, and 2 inches wide, one spot about the size of a quarter that burned very deep, all the way thru my skin to where you could see my fat Dead on the top of my breast just under my collar bone, because I had a skin fold there, created by laying on my back, arm up over my head, after 4 days . Stopped tx for 2.5 weeks was given SSD creme mixed with lidocaine, then Biafine, and somehing else by the Dr, cant remember the name, none worked, and the quarter sized burn hole was so deep, it had burned passed my nerves,  I couldn't feel it, the skin around it had scorched, and was turned gray. So I told my rad PA, I was going to mix up my own solution, and use it, of which she was really skeptical, and warned me against it, but I had already known that Calendula oil works well for serious burns, and even found a few studies for it on NIH, as well a couple cancer sites, that it was being used, on a sort of trial basis, and having fantastic results.
Tea Tree is a natural anti-septic, known to help with several skin conditions, lavender calms the skin, and emu keeps it soft and pliable, so you don't get huge thick scabs that tend to rip off. When I went back to see her 5 days later, it had went from the size of a quarter, down to a pea for the deep hole, and all the burned gray skin had peeled and recovered. She was amazed, and said what ever it was, to keep using it. So between taking the tumeric, and using these oils, I was way doing fantastic, and  finished my treatments with ease, and no more burning. You can search any of the things I have mentioned above, to admire the benefits.

Go to a grocery store, and buy Turmeric. I took 300 mg capsules 4 x daily. Start this about 2 weeks before starting rads, and then continue it for the entire time you are in tx, and a couple weeks after. It is a miracle to help keep you from burning.

Its normal to feel some lumps after, especially on/around/under your scar. I had sharp shooting pains in my arm, and breast, they said its common, due to the severing of a lot of nerves and muscle. At times, they hurt so bad, it would double me right over, like some one had punched me.

Now, after all is done, my breast has filled back in where the large sunken in area was, mine looked like a crater, about half of a baseball had been removed, but now, if it wasn't for the scar, you wouldn't know how much tissue had been removed at all. My nipple feels weird, when it hardens up from the cold or I am itching it, it feels like a chunk of leather or something, kinda hard to explain I know, pretty exhausting and long post, but that is my story of how I got thru it.

Hope it helps someone else, cuz thats what we do here
T-Neg diag.5/07-40yo
Stage IIIa
Grade III
7/26 +nodes ax.
4-A/C pre-lumpectomy 2 Taxol post
+Tissue involvement
Finished Rad 4/08
DX of Advanced CTCL 2/09
Lansing,MI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic