FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you or Were you Dense?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you or Were you Dense?
    Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 8:10am
Okay I was going to try to do the poll but it is a little limiting cause I have more than 1 question  - I'll number the questions to make it easier to answer

So Here goes:

1) Did anyone ever tell you that you had dense breasts or breasts with a lot of fibrocystic changes?

2) Did you ever have a mammogram that was negative for cancer only later to find out that there was in fact cancer present?

3) Have you ever been referred to ultrasound because your breasts were to dense to accurately read the mammogram?

4) If you had an ultrasound along with the mammogram - did you get a letter saying that they found a probrably benign mass or cyst - so they recommended a follow-up in 6 months?

5) Did the delay of 6 months create a delay in discovering your cancer?

6) If you had dense breasts did anyone recommend having a breast MRI rather than and ultrasound or mammogram?

7) Have you ever had an Breast MRI?

8) How was your bc discovered?

Edited by alene - Jul 12 2009 at 8:29am
DX 5/21/2008 TN 8cm TAC
Mast 12/08
Extensive Residual Lymphatic Invasion
Inop node clavicle
68 Rads
Stage IIIc
Recur 11/09 Her2+
Surgery 68 RADS
4/10 Biopsy Skin Mets TN
28 RADS
Stage IV
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 8:21am
1.  Yes
Actually I was 60 yrs old having a second opinion done for a hysterectomy and this was by an exam, no test or scan.  Inbetween diagnoses. 
2.  No

3.  No

4.  N/A

5.  N/A

6.  No

7.  No

Edited by trip2 - Jul 12 2009 at 8:50am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
alene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 8:22am
Okay why am I asking?

Anyone seen areyoudense.org ?
It's a movement to stop the lie...Doctors telling women-- oh not to worry that you're so dense...you just have "old lady" breasts ---these are normal changes as you age....blah blah blah

Breast density is now finally being discovered to be a greater risk factor for cancer than age....

The are you dense gals are trying to change laws so that mammorgram technicians inform patients that they are dense...and that insurance companies must pay for ultrasounds for women with dense breasts

That's great news...however...ultrasounds also miss TN cancers --3T MRI MRI has a better success rate in identifying TN cancers
Results of Study in Toledo OH showed
Mammogram  detected 54 of 66 lesions
Ultrasound detedted 57 of 66 lesions
MRI detected 66 of 66 lesions

There was also a study in Japan - that specifically stated that it MRI was better at detecting TN tumours...

I'll post links when I find them again

DX 5/21/2008 TN 8cm TAC
Mast 12/08
Inop node clavicle
68 Rads
Stage IIIc
Recur 11/09 Her2+
Surgery 68 RADS
4/10 Biopsy Skin Mets TN
28 RADS
Stage IV
alene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 8:25am
Pam did they find it on your routine mammogram then?

Okay...I'll go back and add that question to my original post so we all can see...the answers.

Edited by alene - Jul 12 2009 at 8:28am
DX 5/21/2008 TN 8cm TAC
Mast 12/08
Inop node clavicle
68 Rads
Stage IIIc
Recur 11/09 Her2+
Surgery 68 RADS
4/10 Biopsy Skin Mets TN
28 RADS
Stage IV
musette green View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musette green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 6:55pm
Alene,
Glad you posted this. I wondered about this from the begining. Yes I have dense breasts. All of the females on both sides of my family have  dense breasts.  After I was diagnosed my oncologist told me that a mammogram would not be as helpful as a MRI, since I had fibrocystic tissue as well. For years I always got the phone call to schedule a repeat mamogram, because there were problems with clarity. She wants to order yearly MRI's. Wonder what the insurance company will do?

Just heard this week  another my first cousin on my father's side that has breast cancer. This makes 4 generations ( 2 in the 4th generation) of breast cancer on my paternal ( 2 great aunts,5 of 6 of the daughters of my great aunts, 2 aunts, me and my first cousin) side. I was the first of the 4th generation.  Still the only TN though. Rest of family with recent diagnoses, is BCRA 1 & 2 negative.  If 1 out of 8 women will develop breast cancer and this is strictly a numbers game, then how come it couldn't be the Lotto numbers?
Lisa

Edited by musette green - Jul 13 2009 at 6:56pm
DX 10/08. IIB,gr 3, 2.5cm. TNBC, BRAC1&2-, nodes+(left axillary, supraclavicular, ant. mediastinal & IM). Neoadjuv. chemo 4x C/T. Left mast.3/09,completed 40 rads 9/09. Reconstruction pending.
musette green View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musette green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 7:18pm
Alene,
Sorry I didn't see your original post.  Here are my answers:

1) Yes, I have been told that since 1999, dense breasts and fibrocystic
     changes.

2) Yes mammogram in 2007 showed only fibrocystic changes after repeating
     the mammogram twice.

3) Never referred for ultra sound until 10/ 08. Knew that they would have 
     to this time because of presenting symptoms (PAIN!!!)

4) No letter, after the ultra sound I was told right away that I needed
    to have a biopsy done. Come back in 3 1/2 weeks! Chewed out head
   Breast Center- got appointment in 1 week for biopsy instead of 3 1/2
   weeks.

5) No delay after official diagnosis confirmed by biopsy.

6) Never had recommendation for anything other than annual
    mammogram.

7) MRI of bilateral breast done after I gave my  surgeon a piece of my
    mind after dx confirmed and told to see him again in 1 month for
   consultation.  GOT NEW SURGEON and MRI 2 days after seen by new
   surgeon. Confirmed no cancer to right breast, issues with left breast.

8) Cancer discovered due to pain in left breast. Annual mammogram was
    a;ready scheduled for the next week.

DX 10/08. IIB,gr 3, 2.5cm. TNBC, BRAC1&2-, nodes+(left axillary, supraclavicular, ant. mediastinal & IM). Neoadjuv. chemo 4x C/T. Left mast.3/09,completed 40 rads 9/09. Reconstruction pending.
MaryinSarasota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 8:05am
1) Did anyone ever tell you that you had dense breasts or breasts with a lot of fibrocystic changes? Yes.

2) Did you ever have a mammogram that was negative for cancer only later to find out that there was in fact cancer present? No.

3) Have you ever been referred to ultrasound because your breasts were to dense to accurately read the mammogram? Yes.

4) If you had an ultrasound along with the mammogram - did you get a letter saying that they found a probrably benign mass or cyst - so they recommended a follow-up in 6 months? No letter, they surgeon referral for biopsy.

5) Did the delay of 6 months create a delay in discovering your cancer? No.

6) If you had dense breasts did anyone recommend having a breast MRI rather than and ultrasound or mammogram? No.

7) Have you ever had an Breast MRI? No MRI. In 2003 had stereotactic left breast biopsy performed which was benign.

8) How was your bc discovered? I felt lump under the wire of my underwire  bra.
53 @ Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC-6, radiation-34 12/18/08
NED-10/09, PBM w/TE recon. 7/10, removal of TE/infec 8/10. CT chest. Rec fat-graft & stem cells
ruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 7:01am
I am 73 years old.  I was extremely lucky as all my mamograms showed no cancer, but in 2007 another said I should have an ultra sound as well, as I had dense breasts.  Fortunately for me it showed something wrong.  I had an MRI etc. and then a lumpectomy, but unfortunately after 10 days the results from the lab showed more spots of cancer all over the left breast, and then I had a masectomy.  I had 21 nodes removed, two were positive.  My surgeon said I was lucky to have found this and have had the ultra sound, as I would not be here today.
So for all those people who have dense breasts, have an ultra sound as well.
ruth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic