Go To Main TNBC Website

  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone refuse radiation after lumpectomy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone refuse radiation after lumpectomy

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
gordon15 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Jun 22 2015
Location: San Diego CA
Status: Offline
Points: 785
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 7:20pm
The question to ask is " what percentage improvement is there in the "five year survival without recurrence" - by having chemotherapy. Then, compare that to side affects/physical dangers in your age group.

Edited by gordon15 - Nov 10 2018 at 7:46pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Back to Top
MsBliss View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Apr 25 2009
Location: Lost Angeles
Status: Offline
Points: 722
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2018 at 3:57am
I was diagnosed in 2009.  I was stage 1, had a 1.4 primary, with .7 high grade DCIS.  I had two lumpectomies, the second one for a dirty margin.  I consulted with many different oncologists and they all recommended Taxotere/Cytoxan.  In the end I did not do chemo or rads.  But it was a very difficult decision.  I had secondary health issues which I had to factor in, however, into my decision to skip chemo. 

I am reluctant to broadcast that I skipped chemo and rads because it is a very dangerous road to take.  I would never have skipped any of these options had I been stage 2 or higher and if I did not have the secondary health issues, I would have probably done at least chemo. 

Also, it's not that I did nothing at all.  I went on an integrative protocol and made lifestyle changes.  It was mostly for my mental health because it was all very scary to be skipping chemo and other interventions.  I had to feel as though I was doing something, but the truth is that no alternative medical protocol is strong enough when it comes to this.

I did however have extremely aggressive pathology--so aggressive that the pathologist called the diagnosing surgeon late at night to discuss her findings.  I rolled the dice, to plainly say it, and I would not encourage anyone else to do this.  TNBC is simply too aggressive to risk it.

Edited by MsBliss - Nov 12 2018 at 12:49am
Dx 3/09 stg1 BRCA neg, 1.4cm IDC + 7mm DCIS, ki67 70 -90%, lump w/re-ex for margin, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; SonoCine every 6 months plus CAM interventions
Back to Top
parrynd1 View Drop Down

Joined: Feb 28 2017
Location: California
Status: Offline
Points: 38
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2018 at 5:15pm
To give a little more insight. I did neoadjuvant chemo, had a lumpectomy with clean margins, 1 node removed that looked clean. Further pathology showed it did have some cancer cells present so I went on to do more chemo, finishing with 30 rounds of radiation. I had a local recurrence near the end of radiation and went from NED to stage 4 in a few months. I live with what I chose treatment wise knowing I did what I felt was best for me at the time. You can throw everything at this disease and get nothing back or you can do the minimum and be clear the rest of your life. There are no guarantees. Do what you feel is best for you, but I will warn that if a recurrence happens do you want to look back and know you could have done more the first time?

Looking back I wish I would have done a double mastectomy, but I did what I thought was right for me with the information I had at the time. It’s too easy to look back and play the woulda shoulda coulda game and to some degree I think we all do no matter the future outcome. Whatever you choose please don’t underestimate this disease.
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.