FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone frustrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 4:26pm
Marianne,  There have been threads in the past, mastectomy vs lumpectomy. Yes, it does seem that many veer towards mastectomy but every situation is different along with tolerance for fear level. I too wasn't given a choice. I didn't even ask about it. Although at the time of my dx TN didn't have name. My tx was protocol for the day but is about 1/2 of what is recommended today and not dose dense etc. It is tough having so many decisions. Ignorance of the times may have made some things easier for me.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
mwall47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwall47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 5:59pm
I agree that this site is wonderful. I have been dealing with this disease since 2003; had lumpectomy. No nodes involved. Mets in 2005 to pleural area and in chestwall lymph now. Not udnergoing treatment now; I am taking a chemo vacation. My options now, inoperable, are mostly clinical trials. I haven't done the Avastin, but I have not heard real encouraging things about it. Good luck and keep in touch to all the new members. Mary
IndyGirl61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 8:59pm
tnbcsucks:
WOW that is great news for your 1st round of chemo!! So happy you weren't miserably nauseous..I am so afraid of that. I asked for the BRCA testing as well and will see the genetic counselor the same day I have the chemo. Going to see if my insurance will pay for the test because it is very expensive. My Onc said that since there is no breast cancer history in my family that it is doubtful but I still want to be checked. I had a partial hysterectomy in 99 and still have my ovaries;
And yes the nurse called me back and said that same thing. That it is the mestatic(distal) recurrance that they are concerned with so surgery, chemo and rads are equal to having a mastectomy.
You are right as I am constantly learning as well!
You sound so brave and strong, I like that...stay in touch!
Love~Marianne
AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Chemo 6/23 AC/TAX for 4 mos, 2Xmonth & 6wk Rads after.
IndyGirl61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2010 at 8:32pm
trnbcsucks:

My Oncologist told me that the Lumpectomy with radiation tx was the same as a mastectomy. I think Donna on here give me a link saying the same thing so I think that is right.
The BRCA testing is very new to me too! I am hoping my insurance pays for it. I have heard that if tests positive and again my Oncologist said they would recommend a removal of the ovaries and I think a double mastectomy, but it might have something to do with how big the tumor was and node involvement. I am not sure because I am still in the midst of learning so much, info overflow, lol! I am staying as positive as I can. Much better as time goes by snd esp sincee I saw the Onc. Have a great weekend!Wink
Your Friend,
Marianne
AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Chemo 6/23 AC/TAX for 4 mos, 2Xmonth & 6wk Rads after.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2010 at 1:45pm
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic