FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative Treatment Support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:49pm
Wheat grass anyone? From the little I have read, fresh wheat grass juice seems like a good idea for cancer patients and survivors but I don't think I'd be able to grow it at home.

Are wheat grass juice powders that are sold in vitamminshoppe any good? Can one start having it while on chemo?

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:59pm
Actually Unklez,

My friend Bev is growing her own and harvesting it in 7 days. It is grown in simple trays and is very easy to grow. She is not taking chemo or any treatments. If I can find anything on it I will post it here.
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 6:46am
I imagine any type of healing massage would be helpful, though I am not familiar with this.

Have you heard of EFT emotional freedom training.  You can find it for free on line.  It's a self accupressure technique designed to release old emotions--very important to the healing process.  If you don't mind powerful healing that commes with a lot of crying, this has been incredibly freeing to me.  Being newly diagnosed, it has given me some incredible healing.

Best,
Mary

Edited by maryjahn - Oct 17 2009 at 4:50pm
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 5:02pm
Speaking of massagers....hmmm, perhaps I'll go have a massage tomorrow!! Oh, and lets not forget the pedicure that I have been waiting for 8 months to get!! Onc. finally gave me the "ok" to get one. Yay!!

Ok...while I'm mentioning random things...my lumpectomy boob has kinda been stinging? today....Perhaps it's normal post surgery?

Oooppss, sorry...just realized I was on the alternative thread! Oh well, pedicure and massage is alternative tx for me as it will help my soul     
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 4:16pm
has anyone come across information on statin drugs interfering with vitamin d ?
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 4:47pm
Krisa,

Why do you ask this? Have your D levels dropped, or are you having difficulty getting them to the optimum levels? Are you on Lipitor..which one?
Nancy

Krisa, take a look at this article.

Edited by Nancy - Oct 17 2009 at 5:05pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
sibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 6:14pm
I for one am thrilled to see this new thread, and the new people who have joined it!

I want to hear much more on several of these topics.

Does it seem like there are 23 different topics going on within this one thread, though?

Tried to start a new topic but it gave me an "access denied" message.

Donna, age 42
Dx IDC 12/06, 5/18 Nodes + BRCA1+
Double mast. 1/07
Chemo 6 X TAC 6/07, rads 10/07
Hyst./Recon. 12/07
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 6:17pm
Dear Donna,

I second the idea that we should have a FORUM for this and create separate topics in that forum. This thread is a mixed bag now.
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 6:36pm

To all,

Tell me exactly what you want and I will ask admin for it.
Nancy
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 7:00pm
nancy,
about 5 weeks ago, i started taking a statin drug-again.  ( before my cancer diagnosis, i was taking 10mg of a statin drug and quit when i had chemo, surgery etc to deal with.) 
in july, my d3 level was 46.  october it is 4.  is this an error with the test?  something seriously wrong with me?, or could it be the statin drug?. 
i see my oncologist in two weeks..i stopped taking my statin drug.
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 7:48pm
Dear Nancy,
Could you have the admin create a new forum for complimentary and alternative therapies?

Love,

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:05pm
Krisa,

I don't know what to tell you, but have you actually seen your D level test? Where was it done? When did you have your D levels done? Was it  the 25-hydroxy test? Quest was giving incorrect results remember, and we talked about that? I don't know if they have that resolved or not. You could ask to be retested, and my GYN said you do not have to go off the D3 to have the test. Also, how much D3 were/are you taking?

From what that article said which I just posted,  (the cholesterol and the D3), are related. Also, low D levels are associated with a compromised immune system from everything that I have read. My tests are done at Mayo Clinic, and when the nurse called to give me the results, all she said was that they were normal. I said no, I want to know what they are. My D3 is 66, and the D2 is 4.0. I got mine from 57 to 66 by taking 2800 IU's daily.  However Krisa, I was not dx with cancer, and did not have surgery, chemo and rads.

Are you taking the Calcium and Magnesium because you have to take Magnesium in order for the D3 to be absorbed. Lori's D levels were 77 last fall, and when she went for the testing the end of May, for the BHRT, they were 44. She was in disbelief, as then she was taking about 5000 IU's plus cod liver oil. She started taking the BHRT the first of June, cut back on the D3, and the cod liver oil, and now they are 82.6. Of course she knows that is because her hormones are now in balance. The range is 32-100 and you should be where Lori is for optimal health...everyone should.

Krisa, I would not worry, but, you can ask your onc if he will give you a script for the D3 at 50,000 IU's. Many of the women here on the site have taken that for a while, just to get their levels where they need to be.

You might want to consider seeing an antiaging doctor who is willing to work with a breast cancer patient. Donna is on BHRT, and more and more are looking to this field of medicine to get back to a normal life after all your bodies have endured.
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Oct 17 2009 at 8:14pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:15pm

Vitamin D Deficiency: Do Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Drugs Inhibit Vitamin D Synthesis?

Researchers know that vitamin D synthesis declines with age -- and so does the concentration of 7-dehydrocholesterol in the skin. Without 7-dehydrocholesterol in the skin, sunlight has nothing to turn into vitamin D. The researchers consider it likely, then, that the decreased synthesis of 7-dehydrocholesterol is responsible for the decreased synthesis of vitamin D that comes with age.2

It follows then, that the cholesterol-lowering drugs known as statins, or HMG CoA reductase-inhibitors, which inhibit the synthesis of 7-dehydrocholesterol, also inhibit the synthesis of vitamin D.

(View our flow chart of the cholesterol synthesis pathway here. )

As of May 25, 2006, there are no studies indexed for Medline that tested the effect of statins on vitamin D levels for longer than three months, and only one, single study out of three that tested the effect of statins on vitamin D levels for longer than one month -- conducted a whopping fifteen years ago. The small handful of short-term studies found no effect.13

By contrast, researchers who showed that statins induce dramatic deficiencies of coenzyme Q10 in humans first retested coenzyme Q10 levels after six months of administering the statin. They further found that coenzyme Q10 levels kept decreasing over time for over 18 months before settling.14

We would expect statins to take even longer to cause a drop in vitamin D levels, because, whereas coenzyme Q10 is measured directly in the blood, the 7-dehydrocholesterol takes time to migrate to the surface of the skin and accumulate there. So what is the effect of statins on vitamin D levels one year down the road? Two years? Five? Ten?

The truth is we have no idea, because no one has bothered to study it.

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:16pm
Unklez,

Will do.
Nancy

Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:20pm
Nancy you are always such a great source of information.  Bless you!

My doctor said that if you have breast cancer you want your levels to be in the 90's!  (Mine are also in the 60 range)--My cholesterol was high when I had my blood tested but he has me supplementing 6,000 to 10,000 mg per day..

Mary
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:46pm
Dear Mary,

Ok...last post and then to bed. Yes Mary, but your doctor thinks outside the box! Wink Most think that if one's levels are 32 that is within the normal ranges, and it is far from it. In one of the vitamin D council newsleters it states that if a woman's D levels are low they have a 222 % chance of being dx with breast cancer. I still have not found the source for that statement. I did find the one where it states that if you do not get them to a high range a woman will have a recurrence. Yet most of the doctors never even test D levels.

Did you read in the Anticancer book that "the drug Lipitor is the pharmaceutical industry's biggest money maker. At its sales peak, it brought in a million dollars an hour, 365 days a year (nine billion dollars a year)"? And people say Suzanne Somers is making money by writing books? Good for her!!
Hugs,
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Oct 17 2009 at 8:47pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 5:28pm
Mary,

This is the article/vitamin D council newsletter to which I was referring, and the other link is one that Dawn posted on the TNBC talk forum.
Nancy

Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 3:52am
Nancy,

I waited until 2 weeks after finishing chemo in Sept and took the D3 test.  Also had DH take the test with me.  We just got our results back this weekend.  Mine was only 19 and DH was 35.  I was pretty shocked at how low my D3 level tested.  I've started the D3 supplements about 2,000 D3 a day, but the bottle said to seek advice of doctor if having surgery.  I'm scheduled for recon surgery in 2 weeks and ps assistant said to stop taking it before surgery because of warning on bottle and they worry about medicines, supplements that could cause bleeding or something else and effect surgery.  Have you heard anything like this?  I've stopped the D3 for a while until after surgery. 

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 6:55am
Donna,

I posted 2 links for you in the talk forum, and tomorrow I will ask my friend whose GYN is also a surgical oncologist in Pittsburgh, and operated on her several months ago. Her GYN is very knowledgeable on D3/all vitamins/supplements, and had my friend on 50,000 IU's of D3 for quite a while before her surgery, as her levels were only 26 after being on 2000 IU's for 5 months. I quickly looked through the vitamin D council newsletters also, but could not find anything at this time.
Nancy

Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 8:32am
Nancy,

Thank you for that link on vit d--I go for another blood test needed to check my creatinine levels before having a CT scan.  Do you have any info on this?

Thanks again for all of your support.
Mary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic