FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACT vs. TCa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lbpontel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbpontel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACT vs. TCa
    Posted: Jan 03 2019 at 3:38pm
I had a Stage 1 TNBC (1.2cm); took three lumpectomies to get clear margins but got it all out. Now preparing for chemo and was prepared for a 16 week regimen of Adriamycin, Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), and Taxol (ACT). An expert second opinion was suggesting TCa regimen -- Taxotere and Carboplatin suggesting that the side effects were less. My current oncologist is saying there is not enough data to confirm TCa is as effective as ACT. Any experience out there? Thanks.
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2019 at 5:43pm
I'm not surprised to hear that TCa is likely to have less side effects. But would it be as effective as ACT? That would be the key question for me and I don't see it answered in your post. I was treated 9 years ago, when Carboplatin was not considered for chemo regimens following first diagnosis of Stage I. My oncologist gave me two options: ACT, or TC (taxotere + Cytoxan). There were stats showing ACT was slightly more effective (a couple percentage points) but also tended to have harsher side effects, including a very small chance of serious heart damage. I chose the ACT. I wanted to reduce my risk of recurrence as much as possible and was willing to take on the added risks for those extra percentage points. Side effects from the ACT were not easy, but considerably easier than I anticipated. Taxotere was not hard - I just had fatigue and some temporary neuropathy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic