FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A study for dermatitis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lilyrose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A study for dermatitis
    Posted: Sep 17 2014 at 8:07pm
I saw my RO today and had my simulation to start rads in a week. He asked me if I would like to take part in a study. It is a phase 2 study of the efficacy of a lotion for the treatment of dermatitis in breast cancer patients. There are three groups. One is a placebo, one is a low dose of the study drug and one is a higher dose of the study drug. I will not know which group I'm in, so I'm just a little worried that if I'm in the placebo group, I will have burning. Has anyone else taken part in a study like this? Also, what type of lotion or cream did you use to help protect your skin? I will not be allowed to use anything else on my skin if I participate, but I'm curious as to what some of you used and if it was effective.

Thanks, lilyrose
DX 2/14, age 60, IDC TNBC BRCA- Stage 1,Grade 3, lumpectomy 3/14, 2cm, 0/4 nodes, clear margins

4/14, A/C DD 4rounds
6/14 Taxol weekly x 12
9/25 Rads 26 + 8 boosts
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2014 at 9:25am

Hello Lilyrose,   I used GlaxalBase and the RO that I had did not think the creams or lotions were of any use...WRONG!!!???. The technicians really encouraged use of the lotion.   When I had the severe burning towards the last week or two of radiation, the only relief I received was from aloe vera directly from the leaf of the plant.

I developed severe eczema and chronic cellulites as a result of the radiation.   I do have fair skin so I may have been more susceptible to this but I wonder if I was not as liberal as I should have been with the cream...also eczema and psoriasis are in my family line.

It would be interesting to ask those in charge of this trial if you would not even be able to use natural aloe vera if necessary.

I will say a prayer for the best decision in this for you...Love, Annie

Edited by Annie - Sep 18 2014 at 9:27am
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
lilyrose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2014 at 12:15am
Thanks for responding Annie!
I had a meeting with the research nurses and dr in charge of the study. I decided not to participate. I would have to have labs done and keep a journal. Also they told me I could not use ANY other product on the affected area. They were very strict about how much lotion could be used in a day and also how it was applied. But for me, the major deciding factor was I wouldn't be able to start rads for at least another ten days past my original start date. As it stands, I won't finish rads until the middle of November. I want to be finished before the holidays. And my youngest daughter is graduating from university in December. I REALLY want to attend that and it's in another state. So I am going to bow out. I felt kind of bad about it, but they told me they have almost filled all the spots,

Wishing you well, hugs, lilyrose
DX 2/14, age 60, IDC TNBC BRCA- Stage 1,Grade 3, lumpectomy 3/14, 2cm, 0/4 nodes, clear margins

4/14, A/C DD 4rounds
6/14 Taxol weekly x 12
9/25 Rads 26 + 8 boosts
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2014 at 8:56am

Hi Lilyrose, It sounds like you have a very good reason to bow out...Your daughter's graduation is such a Happy Occasion it makes sense to want to attend. I would not want to delay either. Wishing you all the best with the Radiation Therapy and do keep us posted. God Bless. Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2014 at 10:06am
Hi, I had very little burning and my personal theory is that I was dosing myself pretty highly with Vit D. I was also eating a lot of fruits during radiation. The oncologist was actually startled at my reactions and said I was in the top 5% of patients who didn't have skin reactions. I'm also fair skinned and was pretty nervous how I'd do but I think the Vit D helped out.

The nurses brought up that supplements with antioxidants weren't recommended but the raw fruit seemed to be ok. LOL, I think I ate a pound of cherries a day!

I did use the Aloe cream as well as the Silver that the onc prescribes. The silver is pretty intense but no rashes.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
JulieKCA2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieKCA2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 12:08am
A year ago I completed radiation with quite the burn. I was on a chemo clinical trial during radiation which might have caused me to me sensitive to the radiation. My nurse took great care of it though recommending domboro salt wash to keep the area clean, with silvadene cream.  I followed her recommendation and it cleared up fairly quickly and didn't have any scaring.  
Dx 3-7-13 TNBC, 5cm pT2N1M0
3-19-13 ACx4, 5-14-13 Taxolx4
7-17-13 BMX ypT1N2M0(.9mm) 4/24 nodes.
10-8-13 completed Rads x 30
12-3-13 completed Eribulin Trial
10-18-13, 3-19-14 Bone/Ct Scan Clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic