Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 plus year old treatment different?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jan43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 plus year old treatment different?
    Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 5:23pm
Just diagnosed at 74 with 1.5 cm Grade 3 clinical staging 1a no lymph nodes. Surgical pathology might change that.  My question is:  Adriamycin is pretty toxic. My onocologist thinks surgery will get the breast cancer and giving a light dose of chemo (TC) will give me systemic insurance.
I am still very active. I do have low thyroid and mild ulercative coltis. Normal BP, no heart disease. Healthy except for the cancer. I'm wondering if anyone else out there around my age or older has completed the ACT with no major problems.

Jan
darcyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 2:59pm
Hi Jan,

I am not sure what your Dr. meant by "light dose". I was treated with TC dose dense every 21 days X 4 cycles. I, like you, had a 1.5cm grade 3 no lymph involvement with a satellite tumor growing right near it that was picked up on a MRI. I had a complete response to the chemo. My thyroid has been low for years and my endocrinologist kept tabs on my levels. I chose the TC over the AC because of the side effects. Chemo is no joke and it takes a lot out of you. I was 56 when I was diagnosed and turned 57 during it all. I also had a mastectomy a couple of months after I finished chemo..... I am 2 years out.
This is a good place for information and support. Talk to your oncologist again and ask her for more detailed information.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Darcy
IDC with extensive squamous differentiation,1.5cm,stage 1,Grade 3,Ki-67 25%,TNBC
TX-TC q21 days x4, Neulasta x3,mastectomy 3/1/16. dx's 10/15 age56
Jan43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 10:20am
Darcy, Thanks for the response.  I'm headed to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance for a second opinion. Will know more next week.
Jan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic